Pre-School

Assalamu alaykum,


I pose a question fellow muslimahs: do you feel it is necessary for elementary aged girls to wear hijab to a muslim school (mainly pre-pubescent aged?) My little guy is only 6 months old, but the demand for muslim pre-school and grammar school is high because there aren't many instituions. I thought I would familiarize myself with what's available to us and what resources we will need. I happen to notice that the dress code requires hijabs for all girls. I don't have a daughter, but it did cause me to think.


I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I think it is very good for little girls to see the reasoning behind hijab at an early age, especially since I am a hijabi, and then on the other hand, I am not sure that a small child is really able to wrap their brain around the concept and practice, and therefore it wouldn't be meaningful to them. I never want my child to do something "just because" when it comes to something this important.


If Allah blesses me with a daughter someday, of course I want her to practice hijab, but I want her to feel empowered and choose to wear it. I don't want to mandate that she wear it. I believe that if I am a positive role model, and she is taught about the love and grace in Islam, and the importance of hijab/purity/preserving one's awra, I would hope that she would wear it with ease.


I feel wishy washy, what's your opinion? What is your experience? Do you think your reversion to Islam, or being born into a Muslim family is a factor?

Assalamu alaykum!

1 Birds Chirpin':



بنت بيتر said...

I dont think it should be the dress code for pre-pubescent children, but I do think they should learn how/when to wear it (properly) from an early age. Just as we are teaching children from age 7 to pray, they should also be taught to wear hijab... but that doesnt mean punishment if they do it incorrectly (ie prayer etc) but the parents who leave their children to dress in short skirts and tanks until ten then demand their children to dress "properly" are doing it incorrectly.

Modesty is taught and preserved froma young age .. for example, would u allow your child to sit with her legs open,in a skirt? No, she is taught to be embarassed about doing so... likewise we have to teach them... from the beginning.. how to preserve their modesty :D